Dow, the US Green Building Council and Swire Properties explain how the value chain must collaborate for the construction industry to achieve net zero emissions by 2050
If the world is going to achieve the objectives of the Paris Agreement, and limit global warming to 1.5°c, then the construction industry will have to play a big role.
To get there, collaboration between the different stakeholders in the value chain – such as architects, materials providers and developers – is crucial. According to panelists in our latest webinar, Reimagining the built environment for a low carbon economy, shared objectives and teamwork is the only route through to a net zero carbon industry.
During an interactive discussion, Sergey Belyavskiy (Dow Olympic & Sports Solutions), Jing Wang (US Green Building Council), Pinar Cetin (Dow Consumer Solutions), and Patrick Ho (Swire Properties) explained how each of their organisations are addressing climate change, and how they have worked together to amplify impact.
Belyavskiy detailed Dow’s Carbon Partnership with the International Olympic Committee, and how the organisations are investing in sustainable solutions for the built environment to balance the latter’s carbon footprint. Wang touched on USGBC’s approach to building healthier buildings for healthier lives. Cetin explained why a robust project management system is critical when a number of stakeholders are involved. And Ho revealed why and how Swire Properties has implemented science-based targets.
Watch the full webinar (above) to learn more about the key discussion points, including:
– Why we need to rethink our construction and operations processes in the context of climate change
– What an effective multi-stakeholder approach looks like
– How the Dow and IOC Carbon Partnership is reducing the carbon impact of built environment projects
During the presentation, audience members were also asked to contribute to the discussion in the form of interactive polls, and gave their view on the following questions:
– How important a priority is climate change for you when planning a project?
– Should companies review the environmental policies of potential partners before deciding to work with them?
– Is the construction industry in a good position to become net zero by 2050?
You can find out the results by watching the full webinar.
Mark your calendar for our third webinar in association with Dow, taking place on 17 September, which will focus on Unlocking value and carbon reductions through technology and partnerships.